Office Dress Code: What should I wear for work?
Whether you’re a morning person or not, finding something to wear that fits the office dress code can be a daily headache.
Weekday mornings can be stressful enough without having to decide whether you need to wear a tie or not, or, what exactly is the dress code for dress-down Fridays!?
Unless you’ve done your research and you’re one of those super-organised people, you’ll probably relate to the following…
The morning struggle
- Battling through the 5 snooze alarms you have set on your phone.
- Which of my work clothes are ironed? Oh yeah, none. Regretting watching that extra Netflix episode last night.
- Okay, which shirt could I get away with not ironing? I don’t have any BIG meetings, surely i don’t need to dress as smart as normal?
- Wait, is it due to rain today? Probably, we live up North.
- Trying on 3 different shirt/trouser combos and reverting back to the one you first tried on.
- Worrying that all the above decisions are cutting into your crucial 4 minute breakfast window!
If your job doesn’t require a uniform, it can be difficult to know exactly what is suitable to wear for your office. Apparently 75% of us wish we had a job that required a uniform. No more sleepy decisions on what to wear for work as it’s the same everyday…
Sadly, we don’t always get what we wish for. That’s why we’re here to guide you through what you should be wearing to the office and hopefully help make your mornings all the better!
Office dress codes have changed throughout recent years. It’s still a necessity to wear a suit if you’re in more conservative industries but with the growth of digital start ups and shared creative spaces, many companies have relaxed their office dress codes.
When starting a new job, or going for that interview, it’s vital to know exactly what they require as office wear.
You don’t want to over dress, but at the same time, you don’t want to be THAT person who rocks up to work in their favourite hoody or pair of leggings. Be honest, we all know someone that has! Even if you work from home, dress as you would in the office, you never know when you’ll need to hop on a video call.
This infographic by T.M.Lewin addresses the complex world of office-attire. It should help you on your way to figuring out exactly what you should be wearing to work, while keeping you fashionable head-to-toe.
Whether you need to leave a positive impression on interview day or want to fit the culture just right on your first day check out T.M. Lewin’s selection of suits.
If you need any further advice on how to impress at interview, get in touch or check out our 5 key interview tips video guide.