In an interview, standing out is essential to leave a lasting impression on the interviewer. To set yourself apart, we have come up with 3 tips to help you prepare for your next interview.
Tip 1: What would Sherlock do? 🕵️ 🔍
Before heading into an interview, it's essential to your detective work. This will help you understand their mission, values, and overall goals. It also shows that you're genuinely interested in the company and position, which can make a great impression.
Here are a few things you can do when researching a company:
- Visit their website and social media profiles.
- Read up on any news articles or press releases – Ask questions on current or upcoming projects.
- Look for reviews from current and former employees – Use LinkedIn and Glassdoor.
- Check out their competitors.
By doing this research, you'll be able to adapt your answers during the interview to better align with the company's values and goals.
Tip 2: Practice makes perfect 🔑
Preparing for commonly asked interview questions is key to showing confidence and professionalism during your interview. While it's impossible to predict every question that will come up, some questions are common across industries. Also, practice speaking about the experiences you have using the STAR method, Situation, Task, Action and Result.
Here are some questions you should prepare for:
- Tell me about yourself.
- What are your strengths/weaknesses?
- Why do you want this job?
- What experience do you have that makes you a good fit for this role?
- How would you handle a difficult situation at work?
Rehearsing your answers beforehand can help ensure that they come out smoothly during the interview. Practising also helps reduce anxiety while speaking confidently with your interviewer.
Tip 3: Dress to impress 💼
First impressions matter! The way you present yourself affects how others perceive your professionalism and attention to detail.
Here are some tips on how to dress appropriately for an interview:
- Wear something conservative (e.g., shirt and trousers or skirt).
- Avoid bright colours or patterns.
- Keep jewellery and accessories minimal.
Additionally, make sure you arrive on time, this shows that you're responsible and prepared.
By following these interview tips and speaking to our recruitment experts you'll be well on your way to securing that dream job. Good luck!